Sunday, February 13, 2011

From Murakami to Loss


I have always liked running, so it wasn't particularly difficult to make it a habit. All you need is a pair of running shoes and you can do it anywhere. It does not require anybody to do it with, and so I found the sport perfectly fits me as a person who tends to be independent and individualistic.
Haruki Murakami, author


Independent, check. Individualistic, check. I knew there was a reason why I loved Murakami so much, minus my jealousy of his global lifestyle of living in Japan-Cambridge-Hawaii, year-in & year-out.

This weekend was my first 20+ weekend this year & man-oh-man, was it good. In typical Washington-style, I ran primarily with all men, which isn't the hardest part of my life, if you know what I mean. From the streets of Mill Creek to the trails & waterfalls of Cougar Mountain, I felt an embarrassment of riches of sorts by being able to live near so many amazing running areas.

And the silent times allowed me to question my recent days & wipe away tears for the woman I never imagined losing. I guess every day leads to the next, which eventually leads to the last.

1 comment: