Tuesday, March 30, 2010


It took all the willpower I had to force myself out the door for the speed workout tonight. And there was nothing, absolutely nothing, pretty about it. But, truth is, I run to elevate my strength & push myself, not to just enjoy the better days.

Coach had us meet at red hook track tonight, which never looked uglier. Thankfully it was quiet minus the constant downpour & splashing of puddles. We did 10x400's + 1x800. Although my legs were extremely tired, I am proud of myself for running my type of workout. We were supposed to run them all in 90sec pace, which is just not me. So I ran the first two at 1:33 pace & nearly died. More my ego than my legs, as I watched runner after runner pass me. But once I let go of my ego, I felt confident running the next eight + the 800 at 1:38 pace. Almost evenly throughout & completely in control.

For the record, I have been steadily increasing my weekly mileage which I knew was going to impact my speed. Although I can make it through the workouts, my legs never feel fresh or rested. But I am hoping the increased mileage with the consistent speed will payoff OR at least teach me something.

Distance: 3.5 mile warmup, 10x400 + 1x800, 3.5 mile warmdown
State of Mind: Mind over matter, more sunshine please

No comments:

Post a Comment