Saturday, May 30, 2009





Ran the Brooklyn Half this morning. I was really excited & quite nervous about this race, mainly because I knew I didn't feel quite recovered from the Santa Ynez Half earlier this month. But I also wanted to make my club proud & run a good time on our home turf.

It was quite amazing to see almost 12,000 runners in Prospect Park, but for me, I felt like NYRR did a good job of handling the insanity. I met up with K, B & J prior to the race, which was a nice distraction.


I tried to run a smart race, but I just don't think my legs had it in them to give me a PR. I worked really hard to not push it too hard on the mini & full loop of the park, hoping to have left myself with enough to push it hard once we started heading down to Coney Island but I knew after mile 8 that I just didn't feel 100%.
I tried to push myself by thinking of Lebron's game on Thursday night, trying to think about how amazing it would be to run a PR on my home turf & listening to the ever-inspiring music of Katy Perry & Kanye West (kidding). I had a turning point when my mind couldn't get my body to speed up, even though I wanted it so bad.

Miles 9-12 were a struggle but I held a pace that would have put me under 1:40 which is what I was looking for. At mile 12.5, right when we got onto the Coney Island boardwalk, my body just shut down & I pulled over to puke. I puked about 3 or 4 more times as I tried to focus on pulling myself together. I think I pulled off to the side for about 2.5 minutes, which was really disappointing but I physically had no choice.

It was great to hang out with the crew after the race. We even jumped into the ocean for a brief second before taking the long subway ride back to the hood. I walked back on 7th avenue with S & K, stopping along the way to enjoy the day.

Distance: 13.1 miles at 1.42.44 + 2 mile warm up & a 1 mile warm down
State of Mind: Slowly accepting that I am nothing but average

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!! It was my very first half marathon and I can't wait to do more!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete