Sunday, August 16, 2009


Starting a Sunday morning off by getting up at 4:45am is not my idea of a good time, but I guess I am feeling a little overly anxious in my life & trying to fill my time up with anything that distracts me. So, in celebration of that, A & I decided to do something a little different -- try to run the 3 bridges, Brooklyn, Manhattan & Williamsburg. But since this was also the day of the NYC half, what better way to merge a race & a run by enjoying them both. And since S was running it, we knew we had to go out & support one of the most talented peeps in our group.

So, we met up early to get S off to her race at Central Park & made our way down to the finish at Battery Park. All before 6:30am.

A & I didn't really know what we were doing, so we just started off towards the Brooklyn Bridge & knew we would eventually need to figure it out. Felt pretty good after the first bridge, but neither of us really anticipated the long journey from Brooklyn to Williamsburg so that really took it out of us -- but I think I did take in my very first few of Vinegar Hill (yeah me). I was feeling good, but my legs were definitely tired from yesterdays run. After Williamsburg, we realized that we simply didn't have enough time to Manhattan & enjoy the finish of the half so we decided to "touch" the bridge & scramble down to the tip of the island for the festivities.

Watching the racers was exciting, but I didn't have an overwhelming desire to be in the race. Go figure. We watched most of the top finishers come through & even got to c0ngratulate Paula Radcliffe & Ryan Hall on their amazing races. Shortly (very shortly) after the pros came through, S bounced in. She is seriously an amazing runner.

We all hung around for a bit before making our way back to our non-running lives. Mine was filled with stomach aches, watching tennis finals (Montreal & Cincinatti), Tiger Woods & Bolt take a WR. Athletes are crazy motivating.

Distance: 10.2 miles
State of Mind: As the b'burg bridge cleanly states: "Leaving Brooklyn, Oh Vey"

No comments:

Post a Comment