Sunday, April 19, 2009





Ran the JFK Runway race this morning, it was a very interesting morning. It was a much bigger race than I anticipated & pretty disorganized to boot. We all met up at an airport building, where hundreds of people were mulling around. Soon enough we made out way to buses, where we were stalled for more than 15 minutes as the drivers figured out the race location. After finally making it to the start, the race officials delayed the race for about 20 minutes...but since it was a nice day, it wasn't all that bad.

It was a simple out & back course, basically about 1/4 on a somewhat windless strip going out, followed by over a mile of running with wind at our back.
At mile 1.5, we looped around a jet & made our way back...but the wind conditions were crazy. I tried to draft as much as I could but that barely helped. I started out in 5th position & made my way to 3rd by 2.5 miles...but the last girl I passed made her way back to me & out sprint me in the end. I wanted to try harder & was disappointed that I didn't give it more.

M did great, getting 2nd female...K & the hubs ran well too. We didn't stick around for awards, decided to get the hell out of there & head back to Brooklyn where bloody marys & eggs benedict were enjoyed by all.


Distance: 3.1 miles + warmup

State of Mind: Racing is fun, beater a girl on the last stretch is funner

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a lot of fun. It seems as if PPTC did well as a whole this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so glad that picture made it on the web ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bizarre location for a race! Any reason why they chose to host a 5k at JFK? I think I'll stick with "local" NYC races for now. I'm actually training for the Healthy Kidney 10k in Central Park on May 17th and just posted a race report for the Run as One 4-miler last Sunday. Check them out at www.nycin310.com

    Jason@nycin310.com
    www.nycin310.com

    ReplyDelete