Sunday, June 27, 2010




Ran the Mountains to Sound relay race today, it was so much fun. But more importantly, it was a great test to see where my endurance is. My team consisted of 4 project management-type construction guys from the Seattle area, all very nice & kind hearted. The race started in Snoqualmie Pass & ended in downtown Seattle near Golden Gardens Park. I was the fourth of five legs, with my entire run being on the Burke-Gilman Trail which offers amazing views of Lake Washington & all the cute neighborhoods that surround it.

As far as my leg went, I felt in control for about the first 7 miles. After mile 7, my body broke down a bit & I felt my lack of training since leaving NYC. Using my experience from Phoenix, when I took down any fluids or gu, I took it easy running for a few hundred meters to let everything settle in...which really helped my stomach keep the fuel down. At about mile 11 though, I threw up a bit in my mouth. Nothing unusual for me, but surprised me as I was actually feeling relatively good.

Since my team was so fast, we started my leg in 5th place. I was passed three times (gulp) during my leg, all by super fit men in their early 30's. My that was hard, knowing I was letting my team down. Thankfully, the last leg was ran by a super fast guy that made up 2 spots...leaving us in 6th overall at the end of the race. Not bad, if I say so myself.

Now to take it easy until after the 4th of July when I will start training hard for the Bellingham Bay Half Marathon. So very excited to run in my old college town. It should be a good time to reflect the last decade on the last decade of my life.

Distance: 13.1 miles in about 1:41 or 1:42 (bad results)
State of Mind: My body needs a lot of work.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Corre! Way to run. You did not let your team down at all! I'm sure they were ecstatic to have you there, willing to run that distance!

    It was awesome you were willing to give it a go. Have fun when you come up here for the Bellingham Bay half marathon!

    Tony, Boss Construction team captain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, by the way, that's me in the orange shirt, looking way to overweight after a 9 month convelesence, with no exercise of any type allowed. Down 20lbs, with 65 more to lose yet, yikes! Hopefully my continued healing will allow me to train moderately the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete