Sunday, May 2, 2010


One of my favorite things about running is low-key, community races. Today was one of the best I have participated in as we celebrated Cinco de Mayo in style with a 5k at the park. And with the heat & humidity at record highs for the year, I knew it was going to be a challenge keeping everyone on their toes as we pushed our own boundaries to the max.

As we started the race, I knew there was no chance of me placing as, like most days in the park with my friends, I am the slowest girl of the pack. But leaving my talent aside, I couldn't ask for better company & a more welcoming experience.

I started off the 5k with a 6:13 pace, which compared to what was in front of me was slow. Mile 2 was @ 13:49 which is much closer to a 7 minute pace. To be honest, up until the hill, I felt very much in control & thought I was running hard, smart & fast. But as I turned the corner to head back down to BPS I couldn't hold on. It wasn't the fact that FDL passed me OR that I was dry heaving up a storm the last few hundred meters OR that I got passed by a girl in the very last moment...it was that my body couldn't take anymore. It simply shut down.

I finished the race in what I consider a really slow time, 21:50 something, far off from the first mile pace I held. Although my time was nothing to be excited about, I felt like there was nothing more I could have done. I simply gave it my best.

Afterward, a group of us ran down to Coney Island to get our feet wet & feel the cooling effects of the ocean breeze. To treat ourselves, we hopped on the Q & participated in the experience of getting a pie at DiFara's pizza. As we sat there hour after hour, I looked around at all of these beautiful people & realized how fortunate I am to be surrounded by such talent & such love. Made me pinch myself at bit.

Distance: 3 mile warm up, 5k at 21:50 something, 6.3 miles down to Coney Island, 1 mile warmdown TOTALING 13.4 miles
State of Mind: Try and try again

1 comment:

  1. It was a great day Corre! Perfect way to start the summer - thanks for getting it organized!

    ReplyDelete